Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hoarse, But Happy!




I spent yesterday morning with 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students from Oak Mountain Academy in Carrollton, GA, reading and discussing my YR series, Cynthia's Attic.

At first, I was a little leery about reading my books to 2nd graders, but they were wise beyond their years! The Missing Locket is set in 1964, with twelve-year-old best friend, Cynthia and Gus listening to a Beatles record. I mistakenly assumed that these youngsters wouldn't have a clue as to what a record, record player, and especially, what a Beatle was!

Was I ever wrong! When I pulled out an old circa 1963 Beatles album, they not only knew what records and record players were, one student shouted, "I have that album and listen to it all the time!"

To say my chin almost dropped to the floor wouldn't be much of an exaggeration. My morning with these delightful students was a satisfying, but humbling experience and reinforced my opinion that you should never assume. (We all know what happens then!)

Above all, never, NEVER talk down to young readers.

Mary C, aka, Babe

Mary Cunningham Books

No comments: